Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These western themed chocolate cowboy hats are delightfully crunchy, sweet, and salty. The combination of salty potato chips, chocolate, and caramel-filled Rolos is downright addictive.
Calling all chocolate-lovers and cowboy fans! Today, we’re saddling up for a scrumptious journey to the Wild West with an irresistible creation. These Chocolate Cowboy Hats are so clever and a unique summer treat to make with kids and the whole family.
Turn your favorite crispy potato chips, velvety chocolate, and smooth Rolos into adorable, edible cowboy hats. These tiny and delectable treats are sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next party (perfect for a farm-themed gathering) or just as a delightful treat for you and your family at home. So let’s get our chaps on and hit the candy trail!
How do you make chocolate cowboy hats?
These fun cowboy treats are super easy to make. You’ll attach a Rolo candy to the middle of a chip. Then dip the whole thing in melted chocolate. Add some Twizzler string around the Rolo for the cowboy hat string. We added a gold star to give our cowboy hats extra pizzazz!
We also made a pink version for the cowgirl in you 🙂
Chocolate Cowboy Hats – Ingredients:
- Sturdy potato chips
- Chocolate Melts
- Star sprinkles
- Rolo Chocolate Candies
- Twizzler Pull N’ Peel candy
What kind of chocolate can I use?
We recommend chocolate melts for their smooth finish. Plus they come in many colors like the pink melts we used. You could even do a whole array of rainbow colored cowboy hats!
What could I use instead of star sprinkles?
For a more colorful look, you could use rainbow sprinkle balls or Jimmie sprinkles around the center hat. Or use different colored candy strings.
If your kids are into certain themes let’s say bears, you could add a bear sprinkle or whatever they are into at the time!
Don’t be afraid to color the chocolate hats anything other than brown. We love how our pink cowboy hats turned out!
Chocolate Cowboy Hats Recipe
- 1. Prepare Your Workstation:Before we begin, set out a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This will be where we place our cowboy hats to set. Ensure you've got all your ingredients ready, as this process can get a bit messy!
- 2. Melt the Chocolate:Place your chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate according to the package direction.
- 3. Add the Rolo:Add a small amount to the bottom of a Rolo candy and adhere to the center of one chip. I would do a bunch of these and add them on a tray in the fridge for a few minutes so they can set before dipping the entire chip.
- 4. Dip the Chip: Hold one edge of the chip and dip the entire chip with the Rolo in your melted chocolate. Let the excess drip off and place on your parchment-lined tray. Place the tray back in the fridge to set.
- 5. Decorate Your Hats:Pull off a small amount of Twizzler and tie a knot making a circle that will fit over your Rolo. Add a tiny amount of chocolate to the back of your star (a toothpick works) and place on the center of your Rolo with a tweezer.
And there you have it! Delightfully crunchy, sweet, and salty chocolate cowboy hats, ready for your dessert table.
These quirky treats are perfect for a western-themed party, a unique addition to a birthday celebration, or simply when you’re in the mood for a creative dessert.