Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
With just three simple ingredients, these 4th of July cherries are the perfect patriotic treat! A fun grab-and-eat snack for the kids!
Everyone in my house loves cherries. And what’s not to love? Cherries are sweet, they’re fun to eat, and they’re bite-sized for a simple snack. But when you add some fun sprinkles and chocolate to them, the flavor takes on a whole new level.
These patriotic cherries are great for a 4th of July BBQ or a simple afternoon snack for the kids. Since we love baking together in the kitchen, this is one easy patriotic dessert recipe that we can whip up easily when our sweet tooth starts talking.
Can you use maraschino cherries for this dessert?
This dessert requires fresh cherries to work. You can’t have cherries that are soft or soaked in liquid as you need them to be dry for the ingredients to stick to them.
If you can get fresh cherries when they’re in season, the flavor is going to be so good! There’s nothing like fresh cherries to really kick up the sweetness factor!
4th of July Cherry – Ingredients
- Cherries with the stem on
- White chocolate
- Blue sugar sprinkles
Can you make these cherries for other holidays and celebrations?
Absolutely! You just have to change up the color of the sugar sprinkles and you’ll immediately be able to change the look. Orange would be fun for Halloween and green for Christmas!
Can you prep these dessert cherries ahead of time?
You can, but I don’t recommend more than a day in advance. Be sure to store them in an airtight container with a lid as well so that they stay fresh.
Tips for Making Red, White, and Blue Cherries
The biggest thing that you need to remember is that you want to be careful with the cherries so that you don’t break them, causing cherry juice to leak out.
Just lay them flat and don’t stack them for the best results.
You’ll also want to keep them stored in the fridge until you’re ready to serve and eat. This will help ensure that the chocolate doesn’t melt off the cherries. Just have them sit in a container with a lid until serving time.
4th of July Cherries
- 1 lb cherries with stems
- 3 ounces white chocolate You can also use white chocolate wafers
- ¼ cup blue sugar sprinkles Sanding sugar
- Wash cherries leaving stems on, pat them dry, set aside
- Melt white chocolate in microwave at 30 second intervals and stir until smooth
- Dip the cherries into the chocolate leaving the top ⅓ of the cherry uncovered, tapping off the excess chocolate
- Dip the bottom ⅓ of the cherry into the sugar sprinkles then place on a wax paper lined tray
- Place in refrigerator to set chocolate
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
You May Also Like