Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These Mini Carrot Hot Dogs are such a fun meal and a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies! A fun twist on a traditional kids’ favorite food.
Do you feel that you’re constantly looking for ways to get more veggies into the tummies of your kids? If so, you’re not alone. For whatever reason, most kids just like to say “no” to eating vegetables. And even though this can get frustrating as a parent, all it means is that you’ve got to get a bit creative about the meals that you whip up.
Once I realized that my kids love cute and fun foods just as much as I do, I know that this simple food recipe was going to be a huge hit. Not only do they love that it’s tiny but they actually really do like the taste and flavor, too!
Have them join you in the kitchen so that they can choose the toppings for their carrot dog. It’s just another way to make this unique recipe fun and unique and easy for them to get excited about!
What are some fun topping ideas for these mini carrot hot dogs?
Can we all just agree that the toppings on hot dogs are what make the great taste and flavor? So the same thought process applies to these mini carrot hot dogs too, right?
Your kids can top their mini carrot dogs with anything that they want but here are some simple topping ideas that you should suggest or have sitting out for them to use:
Carrot Hot Dog Toppings
Sweet Pickle Relish
And anything else that they want. This is the fun part – to see what they would put on it to eat!
Can you use regular-sized carrots if you don’t have baby carrots?
Of course! Just improvise. I’ve done this before and it works out every single time. If you have regular carrots that you need to use up, just cut them down in thirds or in half and cook them up that way.
They’ll look just like baby carrots and you’ll be using up the carrots that you have without having to run to the store! (Just make certain to peel them first and get rid of the outer layer!)
Purple or multi-colored baby carrots would be a fun twist too!
Mini carrot hot dogs – Ingredients
Hot Dog Buns
Hot dog toppings
Carrot Hot Dogs
- 15-20 baby carrots washed and patted dry
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 1/4 Tsp black pepper
- hot dog toppings relish, mustard, ketchup, chopped onions, etc
- Preheat your oven to 450 F degrees.
- Add carrots to a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and seasonings and toss well.
- Spread the carrots out and roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring a couple times during cooking. Allow to cool.
- Prepare hot dog buns by slicing in half.
- Place the roasted carrots on the sliced buns and serve with your favorite hot dog toppings!
Simple tips for making these mini carrot hot dogs
- The only real tip that I have for this recipe is to let the kids have fun creating and trying different toppings. Each bite is a simple way to get a veggie in their tummy and keep them having fun.