Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These mini pizza hand pies are a crazy easy kid’s dinner or handheld snack on the go.
Need a quick dinner fix? We turn to these Mini Pizza Hand Pies when hunger strikes and we need dinner on the table fast!
Finding an easy dinner or snack food at the store that isn’t loaded with preservatives and ingredients is hard. So hard, in fact, that it’s often easier to just create something entirely at home.
Sure it’s easy to resort to frozen pocket pizza pies at the market. We’ve done that plenty of times. But sometimes it actually can be quite easy to make your favorite super market finds right at home.
That’s how I came up with this Mini Pizza Hand Pie recipe, and I’m so glad that I did. This is one meal that my children ask for over and over again.
What I really enjoy about creating this pizza recipe is that it’s made using 4 easy ingredients. What that means for me is that it’s quick and simple to do and I know that I can create them without a ton of time or effort. It’s also a fun recipe idea to get kids cooking in the kitchen!
How can kids help make these pizza pies?
They can roll out the dough, cut out the circles, stuff the pies, etc. So many easy and doable steps for little hands in the kitchen. My children love to be helpers in the kitchen so they really enjoy the fact that they can have a part in creating their own snack or dinner!
The other reason that this recipe rocks is that it’s kid-friendly in term of palette. What kid doesn’t like pizza? Yes I know there are a few kids who don’t, but there’s a reason why pizza is what you see at most kids’ birthday parties. It’s a universal favorite kid food!
How do these Pizza Hand Pies compare to store bought pocket pies?
As mentioned I’ve had store-bought pizzas like Hot Pockets may times and I’ll be the first to admit that this recipe sweeps them under the rug! Yes, it’s really that good! And so easy to make you can’t just try it at least once.
Also since each mini pizza is created individually, you can alter them for each child’s palette. My son actually prefers cheese only pizza and my daughter pepperoni so I make them with and without easily in the same batch.
Can you make these mini pizza pies gluten-free?
Since I’m just using ready made pie dough, check your store and see if they have a pre-made gluten-free dough. If they do, you’re in luck! Once you have that down, you just need to make certain your other ingredients are gluten-free as well. Cheese, pizza sauce and pepperoni already are so if you make this version you’re good.
What type of cheese would you use in these mini pizza hand pies?
Honestly, any type of cheese that your child likes. Mozzarella is always a big hit, but you can add any other shredded cheese blend that you want. You can even mix and match!
If an adult is eating these, keep in mind that there are spicy or fancier cheeses out there that could be a fun addition, too!
MINI PIZZA HAND PIES – INGREDIENTS
- Refrigerated Pie Crust (of course you can always make your own but ready made pie crust is such a time saver!) (we love the Trader Joes brand)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Small Pepperoni Slices
- Marinara or Pizza Sauce
- Egg Wash (optional for a golden crust)
- 2.75″ round cookie cutter
As you can see, just 4 simple ingredients make a super simple dinner or an awesome snack. You can even send leftovers for a kids lunch the next day.
I did not give ingredient amounts because I realize not everyone will use the same pie crust as I did and so total filling amounts will differ. Please refer to the approximate filling per mini pie cut out using a 2.75 inch round cookie cutter below in the recipe card.
Also note the mini pies are heavy on crust, but adding more sauce to the inside will just cause it to bubble out. To combat this issue, we serve these mini pizza hand pies with a side of warm marinara or pizza sauce for dipping!
How do you store leftover mini pizza hand pies?
While I doubt that you’ll have any leftover, simply store them in a sealable plastic bag or an airtight container and place them in the fridge. Once it’s time to eat them, reheat them in the microwave until warm, or better yet, in a toaster or oven for best results.
Mini Pizza Hand Pies
- 2.75 inch round cookie cutter
- Ready made refrigerated pie crust We use Trader Joe's brand. It's 22oz and makes approximately 15 mini pies, 2.75" wide each.
- Pizza sauce reserve extra for dipping
- Mozzarella cheese
- Mini pepperoni
- 1 Egg
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out your pie crust to about 1/4" thick on a lightly floured surface.
- 2. Cut rounds with your 2.75" wide round cookie cutter. Lay on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet, 12 to a pan. Reserve leftover rounds to place on another baking pan.
- 3. On top of each pie round, add about a tablespoon of pizza sauce. Top with a tablespoon of cheese and a few pieces of mini pepperoni. We used 3 per pie.
- 4. Add a second pie round to the top and crimp the edges shut with a fork.
- 5. Beat an egg and brush an egg wash over the pies to give them a golden crust.
- 6. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-22 minutes. They are ready when golden on top and sauce is starting to bubble out. Remove and cool slightly before eating.
More DINNER recipes to try: