Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
We love an easy weeknight dinner we can whip out in minutes! Family life can get busy so sometimes you need some tried and true recipes like Baked Feta Pasta or our latest favorite recipe, this trending TikTok Salmon Rice. I swear I have to thank TikTok for feeding my kids! They really are getting to be a great go-to site for easy and delicious recipes like this Boursin Baked Tomato Soup or Ramen Hack Recipe and who could forget the famous TikTok Tortilla Wrap Hack that broke the internet earlier this year!
Who created this famous Salmon Rice Recipe?
TikTok Createor @emilymariko created this now-viral video that has almost 5MM views in just over a week and counting. The simplicity of the recipe is what has people buzzing as as the delicious Japanese appeal.
How do you make Salmon Rice?
Emily Mariko starts off by shredding cooked salmon and placing rice over it. She grabs an ice cube and places it on the rice and then microwaves it. The ice cube trick is another food hack that we’ve seen floating around TikTok although we aren’t sure the original creator of it. The ice cube rehydrates rice so it’s nice and fluffy again. Next Mariko adds what looks like soy sauce, Kewpie mayonnaise and Srirachia on top of the rice and then eats a a bite of rice wrapped in seaweed. She eats the delicious salmon rice with a side of Kimchi and picked daikon.
Without any measurements, we winged the recipe by making our own and laid out the ingredients in case you wanted a structured recipe. We didn’t have Kewpie mayonnaise on hand but substituted Best Food may and it was a fine substitute. Although if you haven’t had Kewpie mayonnaise it’s definitely a caliber above regular brands of mayo. We added fresh diced avocado since that pairs so well with sushi type of rice dishes.
Since I was in a rush scrambling to get dinner on the table (what mom isn’t these days?!) I opted to pick up already grilled salmon from my local grocery store, Sprouts and all I had to do was gently microwave it and heat it up.
If I had more time, I would have gotten fresh salmon fillets, seasoned liberally with salt and pepper and air-fryer them until cooked. You can also do this step days ahead and keep it in the refrigerator in an air-tight Tupperware container.
How does the Salmon Recipe Taste Like?
The verdict? My entire family ate everything and can’t wait to make it again! This is a recipe you want to keep in your back pocket. The reasons we love it are many:
- You don’t need to memorize complicated measurements making this a great weeknight dinner recipe
- You can add or take away any of the side dishes. Don’t like Kimchi or avocado? Add edamame or sprouts, corn, or picked vegetables.
- It’s a great use of leftover rice.
- You can substitute any other type of fish. Tuna would be delicious since the rice has such a great Japanese flair with the seaweed.
TikTok Salmon Recipe Ingredients (makes one serving)
- Cooked salmon fillet
- Lite sodium soy sauce
- White rice
- Roasted seaweed
INSTRUCTIONS: Watch the video in this post.
TikTok Salmon Rice
- 1 5 oz Cooked salmon fillet
- 2 tsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1.5 tsp Lite sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup Cooked white rice May use brown rice
- Roasted seaweed You can buy these in small packs that come in squares usually loated in the Asian aisle of your loca market.
- Avocado Diced, Optional
- Kimchi Optional
- Shred your salmon finely with a fork.
- Layer your rice on top.
- On top of the rice add your soy sauce, mayonnaise and Sriracha hot sauce.
- Mix rice with salmon and sauces well and eat with roasted seaweed.
- Serve with diced fresh avocado and kimchi.
Check out more TikTok Recipes