Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
There’s nothing quite like a pasta salad on a hot, summer day. Made with fresh tomatoes, chopped basil, and juicy mozzarella, you can’t go wrong! Try out this Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad that is perfect for the summer season, and will soon become a staple in your household!
What You’ll Need to Make Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad:
1 pound cheese tortellini, cooked to al dente according to the package directions
8 ounces small mozzarella cheese balls (sometimes called “pearls”)
10 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
1/2 red onion, chopped small
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced into a chiffonade
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Some fresh Q&A:
Can you make this Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad with different noodles?
Yes! I personally love using corkscrew or rotini noodles for pasta salad when I don’t have any tortellini on hand.
Can you add garlic to this Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad?
As a garlic lover, I would have to say, YES! Adding garlic can be a great addition to this meal!
Can I add other vegetables to this?
Yes! You can totally add some broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, you name it! That’s the great thing about pasta salads; you can customize them however you want!
What if I don’t have small mozzarella cheese balls?
You can totally cut up some mozzarella into small cubes and throw them in the salad!
Why this Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad recipe hits a home run:
It’s simple – All the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store, and most of the ingredients are probably already in your fridge!
It’s quick – It only takes 20 minutes to make, which is a win in my book!
It can be either a meal or a side dish – You can either serve this dish as an entire meal, or as a side dish! It’s completely up to you!
It makes a ton of servings – I love making this dish because I can make it for a couple of people, and still have plenty of leftovers! It’s also a great dish for meal prepping if you’re sick of rice and veggies!
Easy Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 1 pound cheese tortellini cooked to al dente according to the package directions
- 8 ounces small mozzarella cheese balls sometimes called “pearls”
- 10 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes rinsed and halved
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped small
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves thinly sliced into a chiffonade
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the tortellini to al dente according to the package directions. Drain, and then rinse under cool running water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked tortellini, mozzarella cheese balls, tomatoes, and red onion to the bowl with the dressing and toss well to coat.
Right before serving, thinly slice the basil and gently stir it into the salad. The pasta may absorb liquid as it sits, so you might need to add a splash more oil and vinegar before serving.
For another easy pasta dish, try our baked feta pasta!