Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These US Flag Cupcakes are the perfect sweet treats for the 4th of July. Easy to make using a boxed cake mix and other simple ingredients!
The fun part about these cupcakes is decorating the tops to look like American Flags. We love to decorate, but these cupcakes are some of the best! They take some concentration to do, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll find out that it’s not hard at all.
Can you freeze frosting?
You actually can. I have actually frozen frosting because I don’t always use it all when I’m baking. When you add it to the freezer, just make sure that it’s airtight. When you’re ready to use it, just move it to the fridge to thaw. Give it a good stir after it’s thawed, and make sure it’s the right consistency that you want to use.
US Flag Cupcakes – Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix + additional ingredients per instructions OR your favorite recipe
Red, white, and blue buttercream frosting (your favorite recipe or store bought) in separate piping bags, each with a Wilton 18 Star tip
White star sprinkles
How To Make USA Flag Cupcakes
Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely
Use the blue frosting to pipe star shapes in a square in the top left portion of the cupcake, as shown
Then alternate using the red and white frosting to pipe the stripes, beginning with red
Place white sprinkle stars in the blue section
Tips for Decorating Cupcakes
The biggest thing to remember when it comes to decorating cupcakes is that you need to let your cupcakes cool down all the way before trying to frost.
If the cupcakes are too warm or hot, the frosting will melt right off.
How to store leftover cupcakes
To keep cupcakes fresh, add them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge or at room temperature. If you want to freeze the baked cupcakes, you can do so but just freeze them before adding any frosting. The frosting can always be added on fresh once you thaw them.
US Flag Cupcakes
- 1 box Yellow cake mix + additional ingredients per instructions OR your favorite recipe
- Red, white, and blue buttercream frosting in separate piping bags each with a Wilton 18 Star tip Your favorite recipe frosting or store bought is fine!
- White star sprinkles
- Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely
- Use the blue frosting to pipe star shapes in a square in the top left portion of the cupcake as shown
- Then alternate using the red and white frosting to pipe the stripes, beginning with red
- Place white sprinkle stars in the blue section! Enjoy
You May Also Like