Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These Mini Banana Cream Pies are such a simple and easy dessert that the kids can make all on their own! They make yummy mini treats.
These Mini Banana Cream Pies are my daughter’s favorite desserts to make and she’s been making them by herself since she was 10! Yes that young because they are so easy and yummy to make. They require no oven baking, but do require some supervised cooktop cooking.
What I love most about this dessert recipe is that the kids can easily take charge and make this one themselves. With just a handful of simple ingredients, they’ll love the fact that they can make this yummy treat without the help of a parent or adult. (and let’s face it, moms and dads – having them help in the kitchen is pretty cool, right?!)
When your little ones are asking for you to make them something sweet, give these mini pies a try instead. Because what better way to have a helping hand in the kitchen than by letting them show off their culinary skills as well?
And added bonus? They’re the perfect size for small hands to just grab and go. These are literally one of the best simple desserts, ever and so good!
What is some fun topping To add to these mini banana cream pies?
Even though the homemade whipped cream topping is the one that makes the most sense, you can let the kids choose some other fun toppings as well or add to the whipped cream. After all, with making so many mini pies, having a few with some different toppings is a great way to open up the taste testing game.
Here are some other tasty banana pie topping ideas that the kids might really enjoy as well:
Mini Chocolate Chips
And these are just the start. You can even add some chocolate slivers to add to the top as well.
How do you store these mini cream pies once you make them?
Due to the perishable ingredients in the recipe, these mini pies need to be stored in the fridge. They are definitely the the type of pie to eat the same day or no longer than the next (just make sure you don’t add the whipped cream and bananas if waiting a day or else the cream will deflate and the bananas will get brown).
The crust might lose a bit of crispiness because of the moisture that comes from the custard, but besides that, the taste and flavor are perfectly fine!
But don’t worry. I highly doubt that you’re going to have any of them leftover to store. They’re going to disappear as soon as you make them!
Mini Banana Cream Pies – Ingredients
Watch the video below to make these yummy mini banana pies.
Adapted from Baking Class
Homemade Custard (eggs, sugar, milk, cornstarch, vanilla extract)
Mini Banana Cream Pies
- Hand or stand mixer
- 12 count muffin pan
- 12 Graham Crackers crushed
- 6 TBSP Unsalted Butter Melted
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Milk
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pint Heavy cream
- 2 TBSP Powdered sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Bananas sliced
- 12 Graham Crackers crushed
- 6 TBSP Unsalted butter melted
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Crush your graham crackers in a zipper bag until medium coarse crumbs form, add melted butter and mix mixture around well.
- Spray your muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and divide the graham crackers evenly into 12 and press down on the muffin pan, allowing the crumb topping to go slightly above the sides. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- To make the custard, add the sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk and egg yolks in a medium sauce pan. Stir custard over medium heat and keep stirring until it gets thick around 5-7 minutes. You'll know when it's done and coats your spoon. Turn off hea, add the vanilla extract and mix that in.
- Take your muffin tin pan out of the freezer and ladle the custard into each graham cracker crust evenly. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place muffin tin pan in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.
- Before serving, add your heavy cream to a bowl and use a hand mixer (or stand mixer). Mix on medium-high speed until thick and then add vanilla and the powdered sugar and keep mixing until whipped cream forms as soft peaks. Don't over beat or the cream will curdle!
- Slice your two bananas and divide evenly into 12 servings. Before serving, top each pie with whipped cream and the sliced bananas. Serve immediately.
Simple tips for making these Mini Banana Cream Pies
- My only real tip for this recipe is that it’s really easy for the kids. Be there for adult supervision but let them have all the fun! They can literally do every step of this recipe on their own. And you’re going to love seeing their confidence soar!
More delicious dessert recipes to try: