Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
This Honeycomb Pasta Cake recipe AKA rigatoni pie is the prettiest pasta you’ll ever make! It’s a delicious and easy baked pasta recipe.
We love an easy baked pasta recipe and often go to TikTok for our latest dinner inspiration. This honeycomb pasta cake recipe was inspired by TikToker @Everything_Delish’s honeycomb rigatoni. But upon further research, it seems this pretty pasta cake AKA “rigatoni pie” has been around for a while on the internet. As most viral TikTok trends, most recipes are flashbacks of old popular recipes, resurfaced in a fresh and new way on this trendy app.
Watch the video in this post to see how to make this easy and delicious Honeycomb Pasta.
How do you make Honeycomb Pasta?
This impressive pasta is known for its signature cake appearance, which is achieved by standing up rigatoni pasta in a springform cake pan. Once the rigatoni is clustered together it will resemble a honeycomb. You can also use the larger pasta tube shape, cannelloni, for an even more impressive honeycomb structure!
You’ll then douse a good heaping of your favorite tomato sauce on top and top with cheese. We used two types of mozzarella cheese, shredded and fresh. We then topped with parmesan cheese to make this delicious dinner an extra cheesy pasta bake. Garnish with basil leaves to add some color and flavor.
How do you serve pasta cake?
The easiest way to serve this noodle cake or rigatoni pie (depending on who you ask) is to first let it cool for a good 10-15 minutes so it “sets” a bit. Then you’ll take a sharp knife and create a slice. Use a cake cutter or pie spatial to ease it out and serve as a slice of pasta cake!
What are some varieties of baked honeycomb pasta?
You could try adding meat or Italian sausage into the sauce for extra protein
Or try a basil pesto sauce instead of tomato
White alfredo version with some shredded chicken
Vary up the cheese, add burrata or another creamy cheese like Boursin
Make a Mediterranean version with baked feta or a tuna version with olives
You could thicken and make the sauce more flavorful by adding some cream first to make creamy tomato sauce
Add spinach and ricotta
What does rigatoni pasta pie taste like?
The flavor is very much like any baked cheesy pasta with tomato sauce. If you’ve ever had baked ziti, you’ll recognize the flavors immediately as they are very similar. The addition in our case of fresh mozzarella balls adds a nice creamy and cheesy texture to the top. Standing up the rigatoni pasta means the sauce that is dolloped above will eventually drizzle down the tubes. When digging into a slice of pasta cake you’ll find some sauce will have filled the rigatoni completely, which leads to a nice explosion of sauce in each bite.
Honeycomb Pasta Ingredients:
Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Fresh Mozzarella balls
Grated Parmesan cheese
Honeycomb Pasta Cake Recipe
- 8" Springform Cake Pan
- 1 Lb Rigatoni pasta Cook and drain according to package but take out 2 minutes before
- 3 Cups Tomato sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 6 Mozzarella balls Cut in half
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
- Basil leaves Optional
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil Divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, but drain two minutes before the recommended time so they are very al dented. Drain and add half the olive olive and toss so the rigatoni does not stick together.
- Brush the remaining oil on the bottom and sides of your springform pan.
- Line and stand up your rigatoni pasta all around the pan tightly.
- Pour your sauce over the top of the rigatoni and add the shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the fresh Mozzarella balls and grated parmesan.
- Transfer the springform pan to a foil lined baking pan.
- Cover the top with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and toasted.