Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These peanut butter and jelly hand pies are the perfect kid-friendly, hand-held snack. They’re tasty easy to make and yummy for your peanut butter lover.
I’m not the type of mom that is against a good old peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I am the type of mom that tries to take recipes and make them a bit different and fun like these peanut butter and jelly hand pies.
So when the kiddos ask for a sandwich that they can eat without making a mess, my mind immediately starts racing on how I can make that happen.
This is how these Peanut Butter and Jelly Hand Pies were born. I was looking for a way that the jelly wouldn’t slide out of the sandwich every time one of the kids took a bite and I knew that creating a hand pie was the solution that I’d been searching for.
I’m so glad that this recipe worked out perfectly and I can’t wait to share it with each and every one of you!
If you’re looking for a way to kick up that plain old peanut butter and jelly sandwich and take it to a whole other level, this recipe will show you how to do just that.
These peanut butter and jelly hand pies are also a great kid-friendly snack you can take on the go.
Is pre-made pie crust the easiest way to make homemade hand pies?
In my opinion, it is because it saves so much time, especially if you have little ones.
However, if you have the time to make your own pie crust homemade, go for it!
I just find that when I purchase the pie crust already ready to go, it saves me a lot of time and stress and to me, that’s worth it.
Plus, it’s easy and uniform and simple to cook. I just have to unpackage, stuff it full of the peanut butter and jelly, and bake it for a few minutes to get that nice, golden brown color.
Once I do that, I let it cool down and the kids dive in! They love the way the pie crust adds an outer layer that isn’t too thick! Plus, since there’s no bread “crust” to cut off, I. don’t feel like I’m wasting a lot either.
These peanut butter hand pies are a great way to get kids baking in the kitchen.
Get the kids involved in stamping the the pie crust with round cookie cutters and filling the center.
They can also pinch the crust with a fork and and brush on the egg wash. This is such a versatile and kid-friendly recipe for them to make for lunch!
Does a peanut butter and jelly sandwich need refrigeration?
Because of the jam, I do like to refrigerate mine until they’re ready to be eaten, although they can stay at room temperature overnight.
Just store them in a container with a lid or a bag and then you can warm them up for a few seconds in the microwave or in a toaster oven to crisp them right back up when they’re ready to be eaten.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Hand Pies- Ingredients
This recipe is such a simple snack idea for kids or a quick meal when you’re needing something to grab and get out the door!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Hand Pies
- Pre-made pie crust We used the Trader Joe's brand which made 10 filled hand pies
- Peanut butter
- Jam or Jelly
- 1 Egg for egg wash
- Round cookie cutter 2.75"
- Roll out your pie crust and cut 2.75" rounds with your cookie cutter.
- Fill one round with 1.5 teaspoons each of peanut butter and jelly in the center.
- Add another pie round on top and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Use a knife to add a cross to vent out air while baking.
- Brush the tops with a beaten egg wash.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow hand pies to cool on the baking sheet before removing.
Simple tips for making these Peanut Butter and Jelly Hand Pies
- Make certain to remember that these will be hot on the inside once they’re pulled from the oven.
- Poke some holes in the top with a knife before baking to vent some of that hot air out.
This simple recipe is a snack that is ready within minutes! Have fun making this together in the kitchen with the kids and enjoy the taste and flavor!