Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
Make this Easter extra special by making some adorable bunny hug cookies! These easy-cut-out sugar cookies are perfect Easter fun for kids and families.
Spring is in the air and Easter is just around the corner! What better way to celebrate than by making some adorable bunny hug cookies with your family? These Easter cookies are SO simple and delicious. You will be amazed at how easy yet ADORABLE they are!
We’ve always loved our bear hug cookies and this is just a variation on them with an Easter twist.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or a beginner, bunny hug cookies are easy to make and require only a few simple ingredients. And the best part? You can customize them to your liking, adding your favorite flavors and decorations, once they’re baked.
Okay, let’s hop to it, gather your ingredients, and make some cute bunny hug cookies that will put a smile on everyone’s face this Easter!
How do you make bunny hug cookies?
You’ll need a sugar cookie dough recipe that doesn’t spread. We linked below to an awesome one we love in our recipe card. You’ll also need a bunny cookie cutter, one with arms! We found this perfect bunny cookie cutter on Amazon. Last you’ll need mini candy eggs like Cadbury.
We also show you a neat hack to hold the arms in place while backing. Use a bit of foil rounded into a ball! Smart and effective!
Bunny Hug Cookies – Ingredients:
- Your favorite cut-out sugar cookie recipe (make sure it’s one that holds its shape and does not spread)
- Bunny cookie cutter
- Candy Eggs
What can your bunny cookies hold?
Once they are baked and you slide out the foil, your cookies can hold a myriad of goodies and treats. You don’t need to use candy eggs like we did Just make sure they are about the same size as the foil. In a pinch, you can always just a bit of frosting to stick your candy on. You can also try adding:
- Jelly beans (the larger kinds)
- Gummy bears (how cute would it be to have bunnies hold bears?!)
- Pretty much any gummy shapes. Like fruit gummies.
- Jordan almonds are great if you have a nut lover
- Something savory like a nut (e.g. pistachio, cashew, roasted almond)
How to decorate your bunny holding eggs cookies?
Honestly, we love them plain just holding the colored eggs for decorations but you can make a bunch and lay out decorating supplies. This would be super fun for the kids as an Easter cookie decorating party!
- Add colored frosting
- Sanding sugars or sprinkles on top of the frosting
- Instead of adding eyes with toothpicks, add candy googly eyes or pipe some on with chocolate
- Add fondant shapes and details
- Brush on edible shimmer or glitter
- Use edible markers to “draw” on your bunny!
We used this awesome cut-out sugar cookie recipe from The Chunky Chef but you can use your fave sugar cookie recipe as long as it doesn’t spread.
Watch the video in this post to see how to make these bunny cookies.
Bunny Hug Cookies
- *Your favorite cut-out sugar cookie recipe see notes below
- *Bunny cookie cutter see notes below
- Candy Eggs we used Cadbury chocolate eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare your sugar cookie dough and roll out to 1/4" thick.
- Cut out bunny shapes with your cookie cutter.
- Use a toothpick to add eyes and a nose.
- Roll a piece of foil into a ball and slightly flatten the inner part of the arms so they don't crack. Add the ball in the center and fold the arms over. Make sure the ball is around the sahpe of the candy egg or whatever you choose to add in the center.
- Place the cookies 1" apart at least on your pachment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are ever so slightly brown.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes. If your eyes and nose have depressed a bit during baking now is the time to mkae a deeper indentation with a toothpick when the cookies are stil hot.
- Remove the ball of foil with a toothcpik gently and add a candy egg in place. If you want you can add a bit of frosting under the egg to adhere mmor strongly.
You Might Also Like
Easter Mini Chicks Cheese Balls Are the Cutest Easter Appetizer
Monday 27th of March 2023
[…] year, don’t stress over the perfect appetizer for Easter dinner. Once everyone sees that they’ll have their own cute little mini chick cheese balls, […]