Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These Cookie Monster Cupcakes are so cute and easy even kids can make them! A simple chocolate cupcake topped with blue buttercream frosting. Perfect for a Sesame Street party theme.
My 3 year old Dash has a baking series called Dash Bakes The Greats where we bake the most fun creations like Ina Garten’s Chocolate Cake and Molly Yeh’s Sprinkle Cake. Dash loves Sesame Street and so was extremely excited to bake these super easy Cookie Monster Cupcakes. The design is simple for kids to create with blue frosting, googly eyes and chocolate chip cookies! These would be amazing to serve at a Sesame Street party theme!
The inspiration for these cupcakes came from Pinterest and I would link to the exact source except they seem to be an iconic design that has been replicated many times over. So unfortunately I was not able to find the original source or creator for this cute cookie monster cupcake design.
How do you make Cookie Monster Cupcakes?
This delicious scratch-made chocolate cupcake recipe comes together easily in one bowl. We used this super moist dark chocolate cupcake recipe from The Cafe Sucre Farine for this. One bowl baking recipes are great for kids just starting to bake, too! We paired the cupcakes with our favorite easy buttercream frosting which we colored blue. Finally, we topped off the frosting with large googly eyes and a mini chocolate chip cookie to finish off the iconic Cookie Monster look! Trader Joes “Way More Chocolate Chips Cookies” are just the perfect size! We used blue cupcake liners which made them more fun and festive but you can use any color liners.
Can I use cake mix to make these cupcakes?
Yes, of course you can use your favorite cake mix and turn them into cupcakes to make these easy Cookie Monster cupcakes. You can also use any flavor cupcake mix, or even use store-bought brownie bites to make them mini-sized! Just use smaller eyes and cookies.
For this recipe, follow the instructions to make the frosting below and use this easy chocolate cupcake recipe.
A few notes on the cupcake recipe for things we changed a bit:
We lined standard muffin cupcakes with blue cupcake liners
The recipe calls for filling the cupcake tins half full to make 15 but we filled ours about 2/3 full and made an even dozen cupcakes without the batter overflowing while baking.
Easy Cookie Monster Cupcakes
- Piping Tip - we used Ateco tip #825
- Piping Bag
- Blue cupcake liners
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Gel blue food coloring
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Gel blue food coloring
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Googley candy eyes
- Mini chocolate chip cookies we used Trader Joe's brand
- Bake and cool the one bowl chocolate recipe from The Cafe Sucre Farine (linked in post above)
- To make the frosting, combine all frosting ingredients into a stand mixer or use a hand mixer and beat on medium-high speed until frosting is fluffy and ingreidents are well incoprorated. About 5-6 minutes. Add a few drops of gel food coloring until desired blue color.
- Add your frosting to your piping bag with tip inside, and pipe frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. Add two eyes and a cookie.