Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
This Soft Baked Frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe tastes way better than store-bought and is surprisingly easy to make!
Do you ever indulge in those soft baked frosted vanilla sugar cookies with mounds of rainbow sprinkles in bakery clamshell packaging you find in grocery stores only to be duped later when biting into one? You see the pillowy softness of the cookies but the reality is those cookies are full of additives and processed ingredients that frankly just don’t taste very good or homemade. I always find them overly sweetened too.
Make sure to scroll down to watch the video below on the step-by-step process to make these decadent frosted cookies!
Did you know it’s super easy to make your own Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies?
Yes it is! Let’s be honest, homemade cookies taste best. Let me walk you through all the easy steps and ingredients! Even if you’ve never baked or are hardly in the kitchen, we are breaking down this fool-proof easy recipe to make the softest sugar cookies and fluffiest vanilla homemade frosting for you down below.
The base sugar cookie ingredients are likely ones you already have in your pantry – like sugar, butter, flour, and eggs. You’ll need the same for the frosting, minus the eggs for powdered sugar.
Not only do homemade frosted sugar cookies taste way better than store bought, they are also much more economical to make with basic ingredients.
How do I know these are the BEST frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookies?
Well, I know a few things about baking. I used to own a line of retail bake shops and we specialized ONLY in cookies and cupcake desserts! That was years ago, but at the time, we sold these at the bake shops and they were one of our best sellers. We used to fondly call them “Vanilla Sugar Softies,” because they really were soft and delicious to dive into.
Now I’m sharing with you the exact recipe we used in our bake shops! They are no longer around unfortunately, but I’m so thrilled they will live on online and hopefully fill your home with the same delightful scents and deliciousness achieved by biting into a freshly baked, homemade cookie.
Soft Baked Frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe – Ingredients:
½ lb (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened
300 gram white sugar
525 Grams unbleached white flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Eggs, room temperature
2 Tsp vanilla extract
½ Cup whole milk, room temperature
Easy Vanilla Buttercream – Ingredients:
2 sticks (1 Cup) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups of powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Optional: few drops of red food coloring to make pink icing, rainbow sprinkles to decorate the tops.
Soft Baked Frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Hand or stand mixer
Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 300 grams white sugar
- 525 grams unbleached white flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk room temperature
Easy Vanilla Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- Dash salt
For the cookies - preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar on medium speed with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy and well combined (3-5 minutes).
- Whisk together dry ingredients in separate bowl and set aside.
- Combine eggs and vanilla, and add eggs one at a time to butter and sugar mixture. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Scrape.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and milk. Add 1/3 of the dry and 1/2 of the milk . Mix on low until well combined. Add 1/3 dry and rest of the milk. Mix on low until combined. Add the remaining 1/3 dry and mix on low until combined. Give the bowl a good scrape all around with a spatula.
- Scoop with a one oz (ounce) scoop on a parchment lined 9" x 13" baking tray (3x5 so 15 scoops on a tray). Alternatively you can use 2 Tbps of dough to make one scoop.
- Bake 12-13 minutes until tops spring back. They will be very pale, but underneath should be a slight golden brown.
- Remove from oven and then frost with vanilla frosting and sprinkles once cooled
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- Place all ingredients in a stand or hand-mixer and mix on medium to high speed for 5-6 minutes until soft and fluffy. Give bowl a good scrape, mix until you don’t see butter bits. If frosting is too stiff, add some more milk, if too runny add more powdered sugar. Optional, add a few drops of red food coloring to make the frosting pink.