Originally posted: July 3, 2019
Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
This Soft Vanilla Cookie Recipe tastes way better than store-bought and is surprisingly easy to make!
Do you ever indulge in those soft-baked frosted vanilla sugar cookies with mounds of rainbow sprinkles? They look so good, even in their bakery clamshell packaging in grocery stores. But when biting into one, you’ll find that you’ve been duped.
You see the pillowy softness of the vanilla cookies but the reality is those cookies are full of additives and processed ingredients that frankly just don’t taste very good or homemade. I always find them overly sweetened too.
Make sure to scroll down to watch the video below on the step-by-step process to make these decadent frosted cookies!
Making Your Own Soft Vanilla Cookies With Icing
Did you know it’s super easy to make your own Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies?
Yes, it is! Let’s be honest, homemade cookies taste best. Let me walk you through all the easy steps and ingredients to make your very own vanilla frosted cookies. Even if you’ve never baked or are hardly in the kitchen, we are breaking down this fool-proof easy recipe to make the softest sugar cookies and fluffiest vanilla homemade frosting for you down below.
The basic sugar cookie ingredients are likely ones you already have in your pantry – like sugar, butter, flour, and eggs. You’ll need the same for the frosting, minus the eggs, and adding the powdered sugar.
Not only do homemade frosted vanilla cookies taste way better than store-bought, but they are also much more economical to make with basic ingredients.
The Best Frosted Vanilla Cookie Recipe
You might be wondering: What makes this the best soft vanilla cookie recipe?
Well, I know a few things about baking. I used to own a line of retail bake shops and we specialized ONLY in cookies and cupcake desserts! That was years ago, but at the time, we sold these at the bakeries and they were one of our best sellers. We used to fondly call them “Vanilla Sugar Softies,” because they really were soft and delicious to dive into.
Now I’m sharing with you the exact recipe we used in our bake shops. They are no longer around, unfortunately, but I’m so thrilled they will live on online and hopefully fill your home with the same delightful scents and deliciousness achieved by biting into a freshly baked, homemade cookie.
Soft Baked Frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe – Ingredients:
½ Lb (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened
300 Grams white sugar
525 Grams unbleached white flour
1 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Eggs, room temperature
2 Tsp vanilla extract
½ Cup whole milk, room temperature
Easy Vanilla Buttercream – Ingredients:
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
4 Cups of powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Optional: Few drops of red food coloring to make pink icing, rainbow sprinkles to decorate the tops.
Soft Baked Frosted Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Hand or stand mixer
Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 300 grams white sugar
- 525 grams unbleached white flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk room temperature
Easy Vanilla Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- Dash salt
For the cookies - preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar on medium speed with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy and well combined (3-5 minutes).
- Whisk together dry ingredients in separate bowl and set aside.
- Combine eggs and vanilla, and add eggs one at a time to butter and sugar mixture. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Scrape.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and milk. Add 1/3 of the dry and 1/2 of the milk . Mix on low until well combined. Add 1/3 dry and rest of the milk. Mix on low until combined. Add the remaining 1/3 dry and mix on low until combined. Give the bowl a good scrape all around with a spatula.
- Scoop with a one oz (ounce) scoop on a parchment lined 9" x 13" baking tray (3x5 so 15 scoops on a tray). Alternatively you can use 2 Tbps of dough to make one scoop.
- Bake 12-13 minutes until tops spring back. They will be very pale, but underneath should be a slight golden brown.
- Remove from oven and then frost with vanilla frosting and sprinkles once cooled
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- Place all ingredients in a stand or hand-mixer and mix on medium to high speed for 5-6 minutes until soft and fluffy. Give bowl a good scrape, mix until you don’t see butter bits. If frosting is too stiff, add some more milk, if too runny add more powdered sugar. Optional, add a few drops of red food coloring to make the frosting pink.
Final Thoughts on The Best Soft Vanilla Cookies Recipe
These delicious, soft, pretty little cookies are sure to put a smile on anyone’s face. You can rope the kids in to help make and decorate them, or keep them as a surprise to whip out when everyone least expects it.
However you choose to enjoy them, once the soft vanilla cookie hits your tongue, you’re sure to be a happy baker. And if you’re looking for tasty treats that are both cute and healthy, check out our fish fruit food art recipes.