Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These easy Apple Crumble Bars make a great fall treat kids will love making and eating! Pair them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make it a more decadent fall dessert.
Fall is here and always makes the kids and I excited for fall baking! Apples are always our first go-to fruit for autumn treats like these delicious and easy apple crumble bars. They are so easy for kids to make on their own or with a little bit of help if they are younger. My 11 year old was able to follow the recipe from start to finish!
What kind of apples do you need for this easy crumble bar?
We used red gala apples but you can use any red varieties Green Apple Smith apples are fine too but note they will make your bars more tart.
What can you serve with these apple bars?
These oatmeal bars have a baked on crisp to them very similar to an apple crisp although they have a bottom crust that holds well after baking! Due to the crispy oat crust, we love to pair these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream since traditionally, apple crisp and ice cream pair so well together.
Are these apple oatmeal bars a dessert or breakfast bar?
Due to the sugar and butter content, they are sweeter than breakfast bars and so we would categorize them as a dessert. Although we won’t tell or blame you if you sneak a piece for breakfast!
Easy Apple Crumble Bars – Ingredients
Adapted from this recipe for Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
All purpose flour
Softened unsalted butter
3-4 small apples, diced in 1/2″ pieces
Instructions – Apple Crumble Bars
Easy Apple Crumble Bars
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- dash Kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butters softened
- 3 1/2 cups small red apples about 3-4 small apples diced with skin on into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar To make combine 1/4 cup white sugar with 1 tbsp cinnamon. Reserve in airtight container the remainder.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" x 8" baking pan and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and oats. Cut in the softened butter with your fingers or a pastry cutter into small pea sized pieces until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Take half your crumble mix and press down into your greased baking pan to form a crust.
- Coat your apples with one tablespoon of cinnamon sugar then spread over your crust.
- Take the rest of the crumble mixture and add on top of your apples.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is crisp and golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
You Might Also Like
Agnes Hsu is a mom of three and has been inspiring parents and kids to get creative with easy activities and family friendly recipes for over 10 years. She shares her love for creative play and kids food to her 2MM+ followers online. Agnes' commitment to playful learning and kindness has not only raised funds for charity but also earned features in prestigious nationwide publications.