Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
This cute emoji pumpkin fruit skewer Halloween treat is a healthy Halloween snack for kids and break from all that candy.
What fruit can I use for the skewers?
Well honestly any cut up bite-sized pieces of fruit. We chose a rainbow fruit theme so used raspberries, pineapples, cantaloupe, kiwi, grapes and blackberries. Note we had to switch the position of the raspberries and pineapple so the raspberries wouldn’t slide down. So not exactly in rainbow order, but who’s checking? 🙂
You can also top of the end with a treat like we did. We used Peeps Halloween marshmallows but you could easily use a candy pumpkin, gummy worm or eyeball or any small Halloween candy that can easily be skewered!
We’ve seen these pumpkin skewer heads with savory foods and snacks too!
How about ham and cheese cubes for a “char-BOO-terie” board or veggies like bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers served with a yummy dip? You might find lots of Halloween veggie inspiration in our witch fruit and veggie snack tray.
Is the pumpkin hard to skewer?
If you use the skewer you will likely break it off by pushing it all the way in! The trick is using the skewer to make a small indent and then we used a chopstick to push in a hole and then added the skewer easily that way.
Can you decorate your pumpkin in any way?
Why of course you can! My kids are school age and love emojis, so we kept simple by using black markers to create their favorite emoji characters. Added a red felt heart for a cute finishing touch.
We had some small pie pumpkins around so added some emoji faces to them too!
You can decorate any face you’d like, or you can carve your pumpkin too. Just note the pumpkin insides will be more exposed. If you are bringing this to a party it should be fine for a couple of hours though.
Drawing a face instead of carving is definitely less perishable!
How to make a pumpkin fruit skewer – ingredients:
Various fruits cut in bite-sized pieces
Halloween treat like marshmallows (optional)
Chopstick or sharp stick or tool
Pumpkin Fruit Skewer Halloween Treat
- Black Marker
- Various fruits cut in bite-sized piecesVarious fruits cut in bite-sized pieces
- Halloween treat like marshmallows (optional)Halloween treat like marshmallows (optional)
- Chopstick or sharp stick or toolChopstick or sharp stick or tool
- Step 1. Decorate your pumpkin face. We made a simple emoji pumpkin and glued a red felt heart.
- Step 2. Starting with the top in mind, skewer what you want to be your top piece first. For ours, we wanted to end with the treat so we skewered the marshmallow first.
- Step 3. Continue adding your fruit pieces. Leave some room at the top and bottom of skewer.
- Step 4. Use your sharp end of the skewer to poke a hole in the position you want to place it on the pumpkin head. Then use a chopstick or similar tool to poke the hole down. Don't try to do this with the skewer alone, it will break!
- Step 5. Insert your fruit skewer in the hole and then continue with the other remaining skewers.