Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
This Baked Ziti with Ricotta is perfect comfort food. Make this simple pasta recipe for an easy weeknight dinner for the family!
Can we all agree that an easy pasta dinner recipe is just the best? This baked pasta recipe from start to finish will be ready to eat in just 30 minutes of time. For my family, that’s huge! When the kids are hungry, they’re hungry now and oftentimes I find myself looking for a recipe that I can get on the table quickly.
Once they hear that this Baked Ziti is on the menu, they’re happy to wait just a few more minutes of time. What I love about this yummy pasta dish is that it’s cheesy and loaded with flavor – plus, it’s great for leftovers, too!
What side dishes pair well with baked ziti?
Since this easy pasta dish really is a meal all on its own, why not pair it with a simple side salad or even some stead veggies. My kids are always excited anytime I make bread too so that’s a good option to have as well.
Baked Ziti with Ricotta – Ingredients
- ricotta cheese
- olive oil
- pasta sauce
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- dried basil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- dried oregano leaves
- ziti pasta
- half and half (or heavy cream)
- grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
How to store leftover pasta
Since this recipe makes a pretty good portion, you’re going to have some to store for later. All you need to do is add it to an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
How to reheat pasta the next day
I don’t know about you but we’re huge fans of leftover pasta! That means that the kids will get another yummy meal and I don’t have to cook again! To reheat, just add to a microwave-safe container and heat in 30-second increments.
Stir in between each time and make sure that it’s heated up all the way through.
What other toppings can you add?
If you want to add more toppings, freshly shredded cheese or parmesan cheese is always great. You can also add chili pepper flakes if you want a bit of heat to the top of your serving!
A protein like shredded chicken (rotisserie from the store) is always a great and hearty option!
Have fun making this easy pasta bake recipe. It’s a fast and easy way to introduce a fun new family favorite dish!
Baked Ziti With Ricotta
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 32 ounces jar pasta sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3 cups water
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- ½ cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a deep large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook stirring until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta sauce, garlic powder, italian seasoning, dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and stir well. Add the water and dry pasta.
- Stir the mixture and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the half and half, and add the ricotta in spoonfuls all over the surface. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well to combine. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese evenly on top.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the cheese has melted and browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve. Enjoy!