Follow us on Instagram for more fun food ideas for kids!
These easy unicorn shortbread cookies make a magical treat and bake up in no time with just 5 main ingredients!
Yes you heard that right, these unicorn shortbread cookies are so easy even my 10 year old daughter was able to make them all by herself! Check out the video of her making, kneading and rolling out the unicorn dough!
We used our favorite easy 3 ingredient shortbread cookie recipe with a few additions. Mainly adding natural Unicorn Superfoods blue spirulina powder for a natural purple coloring and unicorn chip morsels!
You may have seen these new unicorn chips which are a new release from Nestlé. We were excited to score them at our local Walmart! They are a magical blue and pink swirled vanilla chip and actually taste delicious!
Here’s a quick video of the unicorn chips and us showing them off if you want to see them up close.
Can I substitute any natural powder blend?
Yes, you don’t have to use Unicorn Superfoods, you can actually use any blue spirulina powders or even pink pitaya which would look equally pretty in pink!
Does the blue spirulina add any weird flavor to the unicorn shortbread?
No, actually we weren’t quite sure, but when you bite into these delicious crisp shortbread cookies, you definitely can only taste the buttery hints of a regular shortbread butter cookie!
Do I have to use unicorn chips?
Well actually no, they just make the unicorn shortbread taste extra sweet and magical. They also make the shortbread prettier with those peeks of pink and blues.
Shortbread is commonly eaten without any additions, so without, they just taste like regular butter shortbread cookies!
If you don’t have unicorn chips you can try adding rainbow sprinkles!
Easy Unicorn Shortbread Cookies – Ingredients:
- Blue Spirulina powder
- Unicorn Chips
Check out more of our favorite dessert recipes:
Easy Unicorn Shortbread Cookies
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 3-4 Tbsp Blue Spirulina Powder Add more if you want a deeper purple color
- 1 Cup Unicorn Chips Morsels Nestlé Brand
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream your butter, sugar, vanilla, blue spirulina powder with a stand or hand mixer on medium-high speed for 5-6 minutes until well mixed.
- Add your flour and salt to the butter/sugar mixture, mix on low/medium speed. It will look dry and clumpy if you are using a hand mixer, but if you are using a stand mixer, the dough will come together.
- If using a hand mixer, use your hands to clump the dough together so it sticks and forms a ball. Knead it a few times.
- Sprinkle in your unicorn chips and knead those in until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle flour on your counter and rolling pin, add the dough and roll out to about 3/8" thick. Cut out in shapes. We used a heart cutter that was 2.5" wide. You can use any shape but do adjust the baking times if using a smaller or larger sized shape.
- Place your cut-out shapes onto a parchment lined baking paper about 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove, allow to cool on the cookie sheet for several minutes then transfer to a wire baking rack to continue cooling.